Sharp rises in marijuana drug testing positivity have caused the positive drug test rate for U.S. workers to continue at a historically high level, according to an annual analysis by lab services provider Quest Diagnostics.
What the 2020 Workforce Drug Testing Report Says
The researchers analyzed the data of more than 7 million samples from the combined U.S. workforce, including workers in the general workforce and employees who undergo federally mandated drug testing.
Researchers found that 4.4 percent of the samples tested positive, down from a 16-year high of 4.5 percent in 2019, but higher than the 3.5 percent 30-year low recorded in 2010, 2011, and 2012.
The positivity rates of urine samples were up — as were positive results from saliva and hair samples. However, among the federally mandated workforce, the positivity of urine samples declined by 10.2 percent.
- By industry, retail trade and accommodation/food services had the highest overall positivity rate at 6.2 percent — which is a 21.6 percent jump for the accommodation/food services industry.
- The highest overall increase in the last few years was in transportation and warehousing with a 41.9 percent uptick since 2016.
- The construction rate had the highest positivity rate for both cocaine and methamphetamines, at 0.32 percent and 0.21 percent respectively.
- The rate of positive marijuana tests doubled in finance/insurance, the largest increase of any industry
- Accommodation/food services had the highest rate of positive marijuana samples at 6.3 percent
- While marijuana may be up, the rate of positive cocaine tests has dropped from 21.4 in the general workforce since 2016.
Onsite Drug Testing
With Worksite Medical’s onsite testing, employers don’t have to waste a day of work or productivity.
Bring the lab to your workplace for pre-employment, random, post-accidental, or annual testing.
Worksite Medical has the following tests available:
- Urine Screening
- Federal DOT Drug Testing
- Non-Federal Drug Testing
- 10 Drug Panel
- 10 Drug Panel Plus Extended Opiates
- Instant Urine Drug Tests: 10 Panel Drug (i-Cup)
- Hair Drug Testing: 5 Panel Drug
- Oral-Saliva Drug Testing: 9 Panel Drug
- EBT: Breath Alcohol Testing (Intoximeters- BAT Certified Collectors)
- Saliva Alcohol Testing
To schedule your onsite drug testing, along with your respirator fit testing, audiometric exams, and OSHA physicals, or to request a risk-free quote, just complete the form below. We’re here to help you keep your employees onsite and healthy!
About Worksite Medical
In most cases, OSHA requires medical surveillance testing, and at no cost to employees.
Worksite Medical makes that program easier with mobile medical testing.
We conduct on-site respirator fit tests, as well as audiometric exams, pulmonary function tests and heavy metal lab work, right on your job site. We also keep accurate, easy-to-access medical records for your convenience. You’ll keep your employees at work, and stay ahead of OSHA inspections.
With Worksite Medical, a mobile medical testing unit — we can bring all the resources of a lab to you. Our certified lab technicians can perform both qualitative and quantitative respirator tests to ensure a perfect fit.
Protect your team and your workplace now with Worksite Medical. Not sure what you need? Try our medical testing wizard here.
Give us a call at 1-844-622-8633, or complete the form below to schedule an on-site visit or to get your free quote!